Saturday, October 25, 2008

Unit I Test Performance

So, my first blog entry will be providing summary statistics of the Unit I test, and discussing where we go from here.

First of all, great job on the multiple choice. Out of 10 multiple choice questins, the mean score for the multiple choice was a 6.8 with a standard deviation of 1.5. The median score was a 7 and the IQR was 2 (the third quartile was 8, the first quartile was 6). Pretty remarkable that 75% of students got 6 out of 10 correct on the multiple choice. Great job!

Out of a total of 20 points, free response had a mean score of 12.5 with a standard deviation of 2.8. The median score was 12.5 with an IQR of 4 (Q3 was 14.5, Q1 10.5).

This is good for the Unit I Test, much better than my results last year. The areas to improve upon are the free response. It appears as if there is a great deal of uncertainty as to what to include, what not to include. Solutions for this are for me to continue to provide examples of student work that shows what is needed (like the images of student work in reviewing for the test). I will also say that it is imperative that you know the material front and back. You need to have a strong knowledge base in a subject matter before you begin to write about it and interpret it. I suggest with homework that you spend some time practicing this skill, doing it so that it is finished in a short amount of time will not help you. I assign only 4 exercises or so each night in the hopes that you can do the highest quality of work with the homework.

That's the first blog entry, feel free to comment. Enjoy!

No comments: