Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Coolest Thing About Social Networking

The 50 Best Blogs for Math Majors

I was reading this link, and thought it was incredibly interesting, and I could probably get a lot of use out of reading some of these blogs.  The other thought that I had was, "Who else would like this?"

The coolest part about social networking is that I can give it to whoever I think might enjoy it and find some use out of it.  This new thought process of "Who else?" is definitely a high-level learning experience, being forced to think about what specific network would benefit from it.  It's definitely not appropriate to broadcast it to all available networks, is it?  Would it be better for me to share it with a more specialized network?  Example: I'm not going to share great news about the Buckeyes with the educators I associate with around the world (but I could).

So if this is a high-level learning experience for me, it can be a high-level learning experience for students right?  How great would the classroom be that had students create a network for themselves, and every new piece of information they find on the web, they are tasked with the decision "Who else will you share this with and why?" Isn't this how students work outside of school on social networking sites like Facebook?  "Who else needs to know that I'm going to the prom with Larry, and why?"  Or are students broadcasters that need to move to a higher-level of thinking regarding how they share information?

Sites to build networks - click these at school and see how many of them are blocked.  Why would they be blocked at school if they provide a higher-level thinking exercise each time they are accessed?  If the reason is misuse, can we ask teachers to educate on appropriate use?

Diigo
Delicious
Facebook
Twitter
EdModo
Wikispaces

No comments: